Wednesday 28 March 2012

Lino Printing

Characteristics:
Flat 
Thin
Smooth
Reinforced
Hard 
Bendy
Tough 
Sturdy

Advantages:
Cut it
Print on it
Bend it
Carve onto it
Tough
Sturdy
Easy to cut
Easy to carve with bigger and easier designs

Disadvantages:
Difficult to texturise
Limited colour application
Not 3D
Mistakes are un-reversable 
Difficult to clean
Has a disturbing smell
Hard to clean of hands 
Had to use white spirit to clean it which had a strong fume
Takes a long time to dry
Time consuming
Difficult to carve in details


How I created my Lino Print
The he first thing I did was draw out my design onto the Lino piece, I chose to go with Big Ben as it relates to my theme of London and is a popular landmark. After I drew it onto my piece of Lino I used the Lino cutting tool and carved out all of the lines of my drawing, I used a smaller Lino cutting tool for the small details. After I completed this I then used ink and a roller and rolled different colours of ink over my Lino Piece. I then put my Lino onto the Albion press and laid a piece of paper on top, i then pressed them down onto each other so that the link printed onto the paper leaving a nice glossy colourful print. I then did it again experimenting with different colours and also using one colour for one half and a different colour for the other half to make a creative half&half print.


1 comment:

  1. Well done your CPLAD and step by step for lino is great but you must add examples of your lino prints to this post to finish it!

    Overall the work you have completed so far for the project is looking good but you must ensure the work outlined below is completed and uploaded to your blog as soon as possible:

    Starter tasks 1-5 - I can see that you have placed some of the images for this in separate posts but this work needs to be collated properly and placed within one post so that it is clear. See the comments on the posts, or see me if you are unsure about this
    Photographs of still life - see flickr
    Initial Paper Experiments
    Exhibition Review - you have included examples of your sketches and photographs but you must complete a full written review for this too
    Paper Relief and Embossing
    Initial Ideas
    Extension Activity - visiting Pick Me Up
    Developed Ideas Homework (Easter Holiday homework!)

    Refer to  the project checklist for more detail on each of the tasks listed, also make sure you read the comments we have left so far as this will give you points to improve upon!

    ReplyDelete